History of University
Luhansk Taras Shevchenko National University is one of the oldest higher education institutions in the Luhansk region, which has come a long and glorious way, having undergone radical changes in the socio-political and economic system, many reforms of the education system and reorganization.
The history of higher education in our region begins from the opening on March 1, 1921 of the first higher educational institution in Donbas – Donetsk Higher Pedagogical Provincial Courses.
In 1923, the Provincial Courses were reorganized into the Donetsk Institute of Public Education, which was located in one of the best high-rise buildings on Taras Shevchenko Street.
1934‒1935 academic year, the Institute began with the status of Luhansk State Pedagogical. In the pre-war period, the Institute became one of the largest higher educational institutions in Ukraine. During 1935-1940, the Institute provided higher education to 6,500 young men and women.
On April 26, 1939, by the Decree of the Presidium of the Verkhovna Rada of the Ukrainian SSR, the Institute was named after the genius of the Ukrainian people Taras Shevchenko. It is no coincidence that the school was named after Kobzar, because at that time it was the only institute in the region where teachers of the Ukrainian language and literature were trained. The general flourishing gave impetus to the development of science: in 1940 the first volume of “Scientific Notes” was published, and before the Second World War the second and third volumes of collections of scientific works were published.
During the Nazi occupation, the Institute survived two evacuations, and after the liberation of Voroshilovgrad, in the fall of 1943, a period of difficult recovery began for the education institution.
First of all, it was necessary to prepare training facilities, and during October-November the building on Oboronna Street was prepared for classes. Construction work was carried out mainly by student teams. Only 13,000 books were saved from the fundamental university library (200,000 items).
The Institute grew more intensively in the postwar years. New buildings and sports halls were built. Since then, the tradition of scientific schools, which have found their continuation in the practice of modern scientists of the university.
Establishment as a powerful research center and the overall development of the school gave rise to a change of status, and in 1998 Luhansk State Pedagogical Institute became the University.
The scientific work was at the center of the educational process. A multilevel system of education was introduced, which allowed to start studying in the 1st grade of the gymnasium and to continue it in colleges, bachelor’s, master’s, postgraduate and doctoral programs.
The dynamic development of the university maked it popular, famous, competitive. The institution had serious structural changes, improved work with international partners, took the position of a leader in education in the domestic market.
In the late 1990s and early 2000s, structural changes began at the university, caused by the qualitative growth of individual faculties and the opening of new areas of training. During this time, the institute had seven institutes.
The general development of the university stimulated numerous professional achievements and recognitions. In 2000, the LSPU was recognized as the best sports school in Ukraine. In all Olympic seasons, university students defended the honor of our country. In total, our students won 30 Olympic medals in wrestling.
At this time the status of the educational institution was changed: on September 11, 2003 by the Decree of the President of Ukraine №1012 / 2003 the Luhansk Taras Shevchenko State Pedagogical University was granted the national status.
The successes and achievements of the university did not go unnoticed by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine: according to the ranking –2006 LTSNPU was recognized as the best higher educational institution of Ukraine.
Continuous development and improvement of the education quality became the basis for in 2008 by the Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of March 28, 2008 No. 535-r, orders of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine dated April 25, 2008 № 364 and No. 365 LNPU to acquire the status of classical and was reorganized into State Institution “Luhansk Taras Shevchenko National University”.
For the sixth year in a row, Luhansk Taras Shevchenko National University (hereinafter – the University, LTSNU) begins the academic year in Starobilsk city (Luhansk region), to which he was forced to move temporarily after the occupation of Luhansk. This is the third evacuation in the history of the University. Today the administration, a significant part of the teaching staff and staff are located in Starobilsk city. By the order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine No. 1128 dated 03.10.14, the legal address of LTSNU is fixed in 1 Gogol Square, the city of Starobilsk.
Other structural units are located in the cities of Kreminna (Educational and Research Institute of Physical Education and Sports), Poltava (Educational and Research Institute of Culture and Arts, Faculty of Foreign Languages), Rubizhne (Educational and Research Institute of Physics, Mathematics and Information Technologies).
The Chairman of the Supervisory Council of the University is the Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine (by agreement) Oleksii Dniprov.
The Acting Rector, Chairman of the Academic Council is Academician of the National Academy of Educational Sciences of Ukraine, Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, Professor Vitalii Kurylo.
The academic offer of Luhansk Taras Shevchenko National University covers about 150 specialties and professions.
Despite the difficult conditions, LTSNU is a leader in education and science, the center of cultural development of the East Ukrainian region.
The University has access to the largest international abstract and scientometric databases of scientific literature: SCOPUS, Webometrics, Statista, EBSCO EP Package and others. LTSNU Digital Repository occupies a leading position among the repositories of Ukrainian higher education institutions.
Our University is the first educational institution in the region to be a full member of the International and European University Associations.
According to the Ranking Web of Universities (Webometrics) and World Universities Web Ranking (uniRank), which determine the level of presence of educational institutions in the Internet environment, our HEI demonstrates high performance and occupies a leading position in the region.
LTSNU constantly demonstrates high performance at the International Exhibition “Modern Educational Institutions”. Thus, in 2019 at the X International Exhibition “Modern Educational Institutions 2019” our university received a Grand Prix “Leader of Higher Education of Ukraine”, a gold medal in the thematic nomination “Socialization of the Individual in Modern Challenges” and a certificate “Quality of Scientific Publications” according to the independent ranking of the international scientometric database SciVerse Scopus. This year our university received the Grand Prix “Leader of Scientific and Scientific-Technical Activity”, two gold medals in the nominations “Comprehensive Support of Children with Special Educational Needs as a Condition for Successful Implementation of Inclusive Educational Policy” and “Competence Approach – the Basis of Quality Education” , as well as the certificate “Quality of Scientific Publications”.
The history of Luhansk Taras Shevchenko National University is pages of formation and development of higher education in the region. Thus, in reforms, scientific growth, improving the quality of education, our university remains a leader, initiator, a center for creating new educational ideas that make learning interesting and effective.