Luhansk Taras Shevchenko National University is a modern innovative higher educational institution, which has been a leader in eastern Ukraine for almost 100 years.
In 2014, the difficult situation in our country did not bypass a single Ukrainian. Our university found itself in the epicenter of the criminal actions of terrorist groups, was subjected to repression and persecution of students and teachers, the seizure and destruction of buildings. The war claimed the lives of several prominent scientists of the institution.
More than 183,200 m² of floor space were lost including 9 educational buildings; educational buildings of 7 structural subdivisions, “Children’s Academy”, “Children’s Regional Choir Philharmonic of LTSNU”; a library with five modernized reading rooms equipped with electronic catalogs and a collection of more than 1.3 million copies; sports building, modern computer park, about 20 multimedia complexes, own satellite Internet channel; campus; educational, scientific and excursion complex (astronomical observatory, winter botanical garden, zoological, geological, anatomical museum); archaeological and ethnographic museum complex, which has the status of the National Treasure of Ukraine; Church of the Holy Great Martyr Tatiana. The teachers and most of the students were left homeless.
Luhansk Taras Shevchenko National University left the combat zone and evacuated to the city of Starobilsk in order to continue full-fledged work.
Luhansk Taras Shevchenko National University found itself on an area of less than 10,000 square meters, without housing for teachers and students; proper material and technical, information, educational and methodological base; by a contingent of students who were geographically distant from the educational institution. But prorgessive teachers and students, Shevchenko’s spirit and faith in the future of the educational institution, united and independent Ukraine and a strong Ukrainian nation remaind at the university.
Now the University Administration, a significant part of the teaching staff and employees are located in the city of Starobilsk, Luhansk region, separate structural subdivisions – in the cities of Kreminna, Poltava, Rubizhne, Lysychansk.
For five years, despite difficult conditions, the LTSNU team has continued its educational activities, remains the flagship of higher education in the East of Ukraine and is proud of its employees, teachers and students who have remained faithful to their country and native Alma Mater.
Organization of the educational process
The academic offer of Luhansk Taras Shevchenko National University covers more than 300 specialties and professions. Annually, the educational institution produces about 5000 specialists for various branches and spheres of public activity at various levels. In particular, the University fully provides the educational field in the eastern regions of the country with highly educated employees.
In connection with forced evacuation, the educational process is organized using remote technologies. The quality of the educational process is provided by a combination of full-time and e-learning, which opens up new opportunities for both students and teachers.
Luhansk Taras Shevchenko National University was one of the first among the national universities to introduce this form. In 2004, the staff of the Department for Analysis and Prospective Development of the University initiated research in this direction, and then, based on the experience of Great Britain, Spain, Germany, France, the United States, began actively involving interactive education technologies.
The University uses a convenient and reliable system – an open educational platform Moodle for the organization and technical support of e-learning. Today, the main goal is achieved: activation of the educational activity of each student.
E-learning courses are designed so that the student can easily work with the material. Training content contains instructions and methodological recommendations. The teacher’s task is to motivate students, explain the algorithm, and pay attention to the main thing. During the process of work, students are offered the latest audio-visual and distance learning technologies. This allows rational and effective use of teaching time, which significantly improves the quality of educational services.
Employees of LTSNU, who are responsible for planning the educational process, take into account the specifics of specialties. For example, it is important for physicists to be able to work with devices, conduct experiments, which cannot be replaced by distance learning. At the same time, today special simulators have been created for the training of such specialists. Scientists of Oxford and Harvard develop them. If such technologies are freely available on open educational resources, they can be used in the work.
More than 200 electronic textbooks, educational programs and multimedia lectures are annually created by LNU teachers with methodical and engineering support of the Center for Information Technologies. Scientists of LNU have developed more than 14000 courses for remote work.
Active cooperation of teachers and students of LTSNU allows improving e-learning technologies.
In addition, students have a rich cultural and educational program, sports life. A graduate of Luhansk National University is not only a highly qualified specialist, but also a highly developed personality with his own civic position.
Achievements and Awards
Luhansk Taras Shevchenko National University has always been and remains the leader of education and science, the center of cultural development of the Eastern Ukrainian region.
For the past seven years the university remains among the top 25 universities in the country according to the rating TOP-200 Ukraine. In 2014, LTSNU took 25th place in this national rating, ahead of all other Luhansk universities. According to the Webometrics-2015 ranking, the university ranked 27th, which is almost 10 positions higher than last year’s results.
LTSNU is one of the first national universities, which switched to European standards in education. Among the achievements of the University are the victories in the Golden Fortune ratings, the recognition of the best sports establishment in the country (2000-2006), the repeated status of “Leader of Modern Education” and the receipt of gold medals at the International Exhibition of Educational Establishments “Modern Education in Ukraine” (2005-2009), as well as the Grand Prix and gold medals of the International Exhibition and Presentation “Modern Educational Institutions” (2010 – 2014). In 2014 LTSNU was recognized as the best in the nomination “Leader of Higher Education in Ukraine”.
LTSNU took part in the VII International Exhibition “Modern Educational Establishments – 2016” – a large-scale professional event in the field of education, which presented educational and scientific achievements of 750 participants from 25 regions of Ukraine, Poland, Canada, Latvia, Slovenia, France, the USA, Austria, Germany, Czech Republic, Lithuania, Belarus, Moldova, Estonia.
Two projects were submitted for participation in the competition from the University:
- “Social and pedagogical work with families, with children in difficult life circumstances as a result of military conflict in the East of Ukraine (on the example of the Luhansk regional branch of the International charitable organization “Charity Fund “SOS Children’s Village”) (developers are Olena Karaman, Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, Professor, Director of the Institute of Pedagogy and Psychology, S.V. Tuntueva, Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, Associate Professor of the Social Pedagogy Department).
- “The use of a complex of modern ICT tools, programs and solutions to improve the quality of education” (developers are teachers of the Lysychansk Pedagogical College of LTSNU under the leadership of G.M. Minenko, Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, Associate Professor, Director of the College).
For both projects, the university received gold medals in the thematic nominations “Psychosocial Support for Children and Youth in Difficult Life Situations” and “Using a complex of modern ICT tools, programs and solutions to improve the quality of education.”
In addition, the scientific and pedagogical team of Luhansk Taras Shevchenko National University was awarded with the Honorary Diploma “For Courage and Selflessness in Preserving the Creative Achievements of the National Education in the Conditions of Military Aggression” and the Certificate of Quality of Scientific Publications (based on the results of the independent examination of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine).
LTSNU is the first educational institution in the region, which is a full member of the International and European Universities Associations. In addition, LTSNU was the first in Ukraine twice successfully passed the evaluation procedure by experts from the leading European universities on the Institutional Evaluation Program of the European Association of Universities, which determined its dynamic development in accordance with the best European standards.
The diploma of Luhansk Taras Shevchenko National University is a personal prestige and a guarantee of success for each our graduate. This is one of the starting documents, which opens the prospects of career growth from the student bench to honorary positions.
For 95 years more than 100 thousand graduates of LTSNU became specialists in many fields. Among them are famous teachers, scientists, cultural figures with world names.
The following persons received education here:
- Hrygorii Kysunko – General Designer of the PRO “A-35” system, member of the USSR Academy of Sciences;
- Anatolii Shyrshov – Doctor of Sciences, world-famous mathematician;
- Mykhailo Matusovsky – poet, outstanding writer;
- Mykhailo Plyatskovskyi – poet-songwriter;
- Konstiantyn Sytnik – leading scientist and successful politician, academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
In due time, having received this important document about education, many young talented people, who have now become world-famous scholars, confidently started their professional way here. Including:
Evgen Prokopovych Dovzhenko – Doctor of Sciences (Physics and Mathematics), Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Honored Professor of the Lomonosov Moscow State University;
Klavdia Ilvina Pryvalo (Krasiuk) – Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Professor of the Kursk Agricultural Institute;
Viktoriia Kruglova (Galkina) – Doctor of Mathematical Sciences, in August 2010 graduated with honors from Cincinnati University in Cincinnati, the USA, defended her dissertation on cryptology;
Liubov Feliksivna Panchenko – Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, Professor at our University and the Institute of Information Technologies and Tools of the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine.
Among the graduates of the university we call the names of famous teachers:
Svitlana Oleksandrivna Omelchenko – Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, professor, Rector of the Donbas State Pedagogical University;
Olena Ivanivna Pometun – Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, Professor, head of the laboratory of civic education of the National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences, author of school textbooks on history.
Valerii Morkva – Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor at the University of Istanbul.
The University is famous for its graduates with world-renowned names, graduates who became famous figures of culture and arts, among them:
- Petro Dmytrychenko – winner of the television vocal contest “Chance” (2008), winner of the 3rd prize of the vocal contest “Slavic Bazar” (2009);
- Inna Voronova – winner of the TV vocal contest “Chance” (2007);
- Dmytro Babak – laureate of the 1 prize of the International Competition “Capital Invites” (2013, Kyiv), winner of the TV vocal show project “X factor-2014”;
- Yevgenia Fateeva – winner of the 2nd Prize of the International Forum for Young Performers Contest “The Art of the 21st Century” (Portugal, Funchau, Madeira Island, 2013), Laureate of the 1st Prize of the International Competition “The 21 Century Art” (Manata, Finland, 2014). ) and the International Contest “Bohemian Rhapsody” (Czech Republic, 2013);
- Vladislav Belik – Laureate of the 2nd Prize of the International Competition of Vocal Arts “Dona inimi gemena” (Moldova, Kishinev, 2012);
- Oleksandr Eysmont – Grand Prix of the La Grande arte di International Festival of Contemporary Art Contest (2013, Kyiv);
- Roman Shevchenko – laureate of the 1st Prize of the International Bajanist-Accordionists Competition, the VIIth International Baja-Accordion Contest INTERSVITIAZ ACCOMUSIK – 2012, Slovenia; laureate of the 2 prizes of the IV International Bajanist Competition “Perpetuum Mobille” (Drohobych, 2011) and VIІІ International Golden Rose Contest named after I. Vymera (Lviv, 2011);
- Kateryna Samarska – Grand Prix of the International Youth Pop Festival “Retro” (Saint-Petersburg, 2009), and the International Contest of Modern Performers “Musical Sprint” (Sochi, 2009);
- Oleksandr Yelenik – Grand Prix at the International IX Festival-Contest of Choral and Vocal Music named after F. Shalyapin (Yalta, 2009);
- Iryna Yashchenko – Grand Prix of the IX International Contest “Days of the Accordion” (Smederevo, Serbia, 2004); winner of the 2nd Prize and the International Accordionist Contest “Accords of Lviv” (Lviv, 2006) and the 3rd International Contest of Young Performers “Fortissimo” (Kharkiv) , 2004);
- Ivan Simonenko – winner of the 1st Prize of the III International Bajanist Competition “Perpetuum Mobille” (Drohobych, 2010) and the 5th International Golden Rose (Lviv, 2010), laureate of the 2nd prize of the VIIth International Bajanist-Accordionist Contest (INTERSVITIAZ ACCOMUSIK-2011, Slovenia);
- Valerii Semenenko – laureate of the 1st prize of the XIІ International Contest “Crimean Spring” (Yalta, 2013) and the IV International Contest “Inter-Svityaz” (Lutsk, 2012).
We are proud of our graduates – Olympic champions! In general, 35 Olympic medals were won by the students of the Institute of Physical Education and Sports of our University. These are 12 gold, 9 silver, 14 bronze ones.
At the 18th Olympic Games in Tokyo in 1964, Mykola Chuzhikov won the first gold medal in a canoe for Luhansk region.
Sports couples Viktor and Olga Bryzgina won three gold medals in athletics at the XXVI Olympics in Seoul. In general, Olga Bryzgina is the three-time Olympic champion. Their daughter Yelyzaveta Bryzgina, supporting her family traditions, won the bronze medal at the XXX Olympic Games in London.
Now Anna Solovei is studying at the Institute. She is Honored Master of Sports on cycling track, multiple champion of Europe and the world, who won the license to participate in the XXI Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
From high sports achievements we celebrate Dmytro Semenenko and Oleksii Bychkov – masters of Ukrainian sports of international class of powerlifting, who became world champions and established world records.
From the University began their way to the recognition and fame of well-known diplomats, journalists, businessmen, public figures, among them:
- Oleksandr Kostinsky – freelance writer and editor of radio programs “Svoboda”, director of creation of content of popular science and educational programs;
- Serhii Petrograd Podgorny – deputy of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine of the 6 convocation, a member of the Verkhovna Rada Committee on State Building and Local Self-Government;
- Nestor Mykolaiovych Gupan – Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, Professor at the Institute of Pedagogics of the National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine;
- Dmytro Vasyliovych Burym – scientific secretary of the Institute of Archeography and Source Studies of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine;
- Andrii Volodymyrovych Yakovlev – captain of the KVK team “Voroshilovskie Strelki”, well-known director and screenwriter, author of the Studio “Kvartal 95”.