Department of Oriental Languages
Address: 36003, the city of Poltava, ul. Kovalya 3, aud. 419 A
Phones: 050 800 21 65, 066 861 4686
The Department of Oriental Languages was created on the basis of the Department of Speech Practice and the Department of Foreign Languages. The Department of Speech Practice has existed since 1998, and such oriental languages as Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Turkish, and Hebrew have been taught at the Department since 2000. The purpose of the establishment of the Department of Oriental Languages in June 2013 was to train highly skilled professionals to meet the needs of Ukraine in developing comprehensive relations with the countries of the Near and Middle East.
The department trains students of the Faculty of Foreign Languages and the Faculty of Ukrainian Philology and Social Communications, as well as of the educational-scientific institute of pedagogy and psychology, the educational-scientific institute of economics and business, the educational-scientific institute of physical education and sports.
Faculty of Foreign Languages:
Educational and qualification level “Bachelor”:
- Philology. Chinese and English languages and literature
- Philology. Japanese and English languages and literature.
- Philology. Turkish and English languages and literature.
- Philology. Arabic and English languages and literature.
- Philology. English language and literature. Language and Literature (Arabic, Turkish).
Educational and qualification level “Master”:
- Language and Literature (Chinese)
- Fedicheva Natalia Vladimirovna – Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Oriental Languages, Honorary Professor of Lugansk Taras Shevchenko National University
- Malahova Yuliya Vladimirovna – Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor (Chinese, Japanese)
- Goroshkin Igor Alexandrovich – candidate of pedagogical sciences, lecturer (Turkish language)
- Chepurna Irina Nikolaevna – Teacher (Chinese language)
- Alexander Alexandrovich Podmaryov – Teacher (Chinese language)
- Petrushkova Anastasia Nikolaevna – Teacher (English language)
- Gusakova Oksana Alexandrovna – Teacher (English language)
- Milchenko Olga Serhiivna- Teacher (Japanese language)
- Borzova Oleksandra Dmytrivna – Teacher (Japanese language)
- Diryavko Olga Anayolievna – Teacher (Arabic language)
- Korinska Olha Olehivna – senior lab assistant
Educational and methodical work
The department trains students of the Faculty of Foreign Languages, the Faculty of Ukrainian Philology and Social Communications, the educational-scientific institute of pedagogy and psychology, the educational-scientific institute of economics and business, the educational-scientific institute of physical education and sports.
At the Faculty of Foreign Languages, the Department trains.philologists of Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Turkish languages , as well as Chinese language teachers and translators.
The priority tasks of the department are:
- development of new and improvement of existing educational programs of disciplines introduced by educational programs for the preparation of bachelors and masters
- to ensure a high level of teaching practical and theoretical disciplines
- updating approaches to teaching foreign languages in the context of changes taking place in the world
- formation of the creative personality of future philologists, teachers, and translators
- organizing and conducting Olympiads in English and Oriental languages on the basis of the University and ensuring participation of the students of the department in interuniversity Olympiads
- Creating our own textbooks and teaching materials in English and oriental languages to meet the needs of students studying English and oriental languages
- Enriching the department library with new educational and regional studies literature
- Finding opportunities for studenys to use English and oriental languages in real life while studying at the uniuversity
Research work of the department and students’ innovative activity
The research work and innovative activities of students and graduate students are an important direction of the training of future scientists of high qualification and an important component of a unified process: educational, scientific and innovative.
The research work of the department is carried out within the framework of two topics: “Modern educational technologies in teaching foreing languages and preparing students for intercultural communication” and “Innovations in linguistic multicultural education”. In addition, during the last years the department is working on project “Cultures of the peoples whose languages we study” and on the project “Formation of multicultural tolerance in the process of studying foreign languages in higher educational institutions: the experience of Ukraine and the Eastern countries.”
Social work of the department
The priority tasks of the department’s social and humanitarian work are:
- celebration of national holidays and remarkable dates in the life of Ukraine and in the life of peoples whose languages are taught at the department
- teaching students to respect the culture and values of the peoples of the East, to educate students in a tolerant attitude to a different culture, to understand the mentality, lifestyle and world perception of the representatives of oriental cultures
- organization of cultural, artistic and public events aimed at promoting oriental languages and cultures in Ukraine
Professional orientation work
The priority tasks in the field of vocational guidance work of the department are:
- thorough preparation and participation of lecturers of the department in the «Days of Open Doors» and the organization of similar events outside the university in order to better familiarize people with the opportunities offered by Lugansk Taras Shevchenko National University
- popularization of educational programs offered at the department
- preparation of presentations and various events to promote better understanding of culture, values, customs, way of life of the peoples of the East and to overcome some negative stereotypes prevailing in the society
International connections of the department
The priority tasks in the field of international relations of the department are:
- Maintaining the working relations of the department with the embassies of China, Japan, Turkey and the Arab countries. Search for new opportunities for activating and developing these relationships
- studying the experience of oriental centers in Europe and the United State
- organizing conferences and seminars and invite educators and scientists from China, Turkey and the Arab countries
- Inviting outstanding researchers, scholars, poets, writers, literary critics, etc., for conducting lectures for students
- holding meetings of the Youth Club of Oriental Cultures
- To conduct the theatrical festival “Magic Paints”.