Features of Accrual of Social Scholarships
Features of providing scholarships in 2017 is an exciting topic for both students and their parents.
Economic incentives in the learning process can improve the quality of education, creating conditions for the effective development of the scientific potential of the state.
Recently, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine approved regulations, which introduce a new algorithm for calculation of scholarships, which should encourage obtaining high-quality knowledge that will guarantee success of young people in professional and career growth.
The government improved the procedure for granting social scholarships to certain categories of students, and established that academic scholarships are assigned according to the rating of the academic performance, which is compiled on the basis of the student’s academic achievements during the last semester of each faculty, course, specialty.
The head of the Sector of the Student Social Service E.G. Dorogavtseva told about changes and features of accrual of social scholarships.
What categories of students can receive social scholarships?
Features of accrual and payment of academic and social scholarships are regulated by the following regulations of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine “Some issues of social scholarships of students (cadets) of higher education institutions” No. 1045 and “Some questions of providing scholarships” No. 1050. According to the documents, the right to receive social scholarships is given to those students who do not receive academic scholarships, not on the state maintenance and not in the academic leave.
The government will pay social scholarships to the following categories of students:
- orphans and children deprived of parental care;
- persons affected by the Chernobyl disaster;
- miners who have experience of underground work for at least three years;
- persons whose parents are miners who have experience of underground work for at least 15 years or have died as a result of an accident at work or became disabled group I or II;
- persons who are recognized as participants of military operations and their children;
- children one of whose parents died (missing) in the area of anti-terrorist operations, military actions or armed conflicts;
- children one of whose parents died during the mass actions of civil protest;
- children who are internally displaced persons.
The social scholarship is assigned to students to complete their education in the relevant higher education institution, but not longer than until they reach 23 years old.
Where and how to make the payment of social scholarships?
For receiving social scholarships, students should contact the Dean’s Office / Directorate of their structural subdivision with the appropriate application.
In addition, students must also present the following documents:
- orphans and children deprived of parental care should present a copy of the decision of the guardianship authority to grant appropriate status or an extract from the accounting and statistical card of the child; a copy of the certificate of the parent’s death;
- persons affected by the Chernobyl disaster – a copy of a certificate of a person affected by the Chernobyl disaster of the corresponding sample;
- miners who have experience of underground work for at least three years and those persons whose parents are miners who have experience of underground work for at least 15 years or have died as a result of an accident at work or became disabled group I or II – a certificate from the mining enterprise with indicating the length of underground service, the act of the accident, which is connected with the production, a copy of the medical and social assessment, a copy of the certificate of the father’s or mother’s death;
- persons recognized as participants of military operations – a copy of the certificate of the established sample, a certificate of the authority of social welfare registered in the unified state automated register of persons entitled to benefits;
- children one of whose parents died (missing) in the area of anti-terrorist operations, military actions or armed conflicts – a copy of the certificate of death of his father or mother, proof of death (missing in action), a copy of the medical and social help expertise;
- children one of whose parents died during the mass actions of civil protest – a copy of the death of the father (mother), a copy of the certificate of the established sample of a member of the family of the deceased war veteran, a certificate of the authority of social welfare registered in the unified state automated register of persons eligible for benefits;
- children who are internally displaced persons – a copy of a certificate about registering internally displaced persons.
What is the size of social scholarships?
The social scholarships are assigned to the entire training period, starting from the month of applying for its granting and are paid monthly in the following amounts:
- students of the higher educational institutions of I-II levels of accreditation – 750 UAH;
- students of higher educational institutions of III-IV levels of accreditation – 1000 UAH;
- students of higher educational institutions of I-IV of levels of accreditation from the number of orphans and children deprived of parental care, as well as university students, who are studying at the age of 18 to 23 years left without parents – 2000 UAH.
Luhansk Taras Shevchenko National University is the standard of quality of Ukrainian education and successfully carries out research and educational activities, guided by the best international and domestic traditions, modern principles and the latest trends in the development of educational services.
The new scholarships calculation algorithm will improve students’ knowledge and will ensure the quality training of highly qualified specialists.
Oleg Chernysh, press center of LTSNU